My first slipcover! June 14, 2011
So there is tons to update you on, but until things are more firm, it’s gonna have to wait. In the meantime….let me share the slipcover I just finished!
Months ago I came across an amazing site. A lady who makes slipcovers so beautiful that it looks like she reupholstered the pieces. Then I found out that she actually sells a DVD walking you through the process of slipcovering. So though I hadn’t sewn a single thing since 8th grade home-economics, I decided to be ambitious and try to make one myself. Yes, I am VERY ambitious, haha.
Turns out my mom still had her sewing machine and after checking, it worked perfectly. That was a step in the right direction. Then I found a $30 chair on Craigslist. Here is what the faded, flowerly, scary fabric looked like before:
I saw some fabric used on the site above that I knew I just HAD TO have. So after finding a good deal on it, I bit the bullet and bought about 9 yards of it. And it’s a good thing I did because I literally only had scraps left over.
The first part of it was good and though I wasn’t sure what to do in some instances, I winged it and tried to just figure it out. There was one point where I just had to take a break from it for awhile or else I would end up throwing my mom’s machine across the room. But then I committed myself and finished it within a few days.
It’s DEFINITELY not perfect but I’m proud of my first slipcover. I won’t point out all the mistakes but there definitely are some. Still, I’m proud. Not sure I will do another one anytime soon, but I encourage all of you to try! Here’s the completed chair!